This week we are continuing our look at exercises I consider the building blocks of effective improvisation. Last week we studied some scale based exercises and this week we will take a look at chord based exercises.
Learning all of the upper structure chord extensions is a way to break out of your regular chord tone based solos. These exercises will cover notes such as the 9th, sharp 11th, and 13th and work them seamlessly into regular chord tone exercises giving them a new flavor and giving you a new set of skills.
Break out of your comfort zone with this week’s episode and you will start to see results almost immediately! Enjoy the show and remember to get in touch with me if you have any questions or concerns. Have fun!
Please consider donating to the podcast if you find these episodes helpful! A jazz teacher has gotta eat! 🙂
- If you would like extra help on any of this material, or just want to get better at improvisation, jazz theory, or any aspect of jazz, let’s talk about Skype lessons. For a free consultation to see if we would work well together, visit THIS LINK and get in touch with me!
- Visit the 10 Minute Jazz Lesson Website
- Visit Nick Mainella’s personal Website
- If you enjoy the play alongs I use in these episodes, and need an awesome jazz education tool that allows you to do almost anything you can imagine, download iReal Pro here:
- Please consider donating to the podcast if you find these lessons useful, we really appreciate it!