This week is less about one concept and more about something that will benefit the entire process of becoming the best you can be. There are enough things to work on when it comes to being a jazz musician that it can be overwhelming. If our focus is on too many things, we never end up getting better at anything. The only way to get really deep into a concept is to limit what we allow ourselves to work on at any given time.
When we think of the masters of jazz, it becomes clear that they would work on a concept until it is a part of them and they can pull off whatever they want to in any situation they encounter. Can you honestly say that about yourself? Recently, I have been working on fewer things every day but giving those few things more time and attention as to make them a real part of my playing instead of scratching their surface.
The point of this week’s episode is to give you some direction in what can sometimes be a frustrating field of study. Slow down, realize that becoming a good improviser is a lifelong process, and start with a few core concepts that will lead you to everything else you want/need to work on. Hope fully this will benefit some of you out there and help you to achieve your goals!
Please support the podcast! We have some exciting news this week. We are excited to announce our short ebook: 29 core exercises for the improviser can be found HERE. Only $7 will get you months of exercises to use in your studies to become the best improviser possible!
- Grab our monthly transcription packs HERE. This is a great way to support the podcast with a small amount of money each month and get something awesome and beneficial in return!
- If you would like extra help on any of this material, or just want to get better at improvisation, jazz theory, or any aspect of jazz, let’s talk about Skype lessons. For a free consultation to see if we would work well together, visit THIS LINK and get in touch with me!
- Visit the 10 Minute Jazz Lesson Website
- Visit Nick Mainella’s personal Website
- If you enjoy the play alongs I use in these episodes, and need an awesome jazz education tool that allows you to do almost anything you can imagine, download iReal Pro here:
- Please consider donating to the podcast if you find these lessons useful, we really appreciate it!