This week is a real treat for the listeners of the 10 Minute Jazz Lesson Podcast. We welcome our first guest host to the show and what a great host he is! I’d like to welcome Jeff Schneider to the podcast and he has a fantastic lesson on triads over dominant chords. Composer and multi-instrumentalist Jeff Schneider is a DownBeat Magazine award winner and three-time recipient of the ASCAP Young Jazz Composer Award. His music is featured in films and advertisements by CNN, NASA, Visa, Intel, Citigroup, Benjamin Moore, Estée Lauder, Donna Karan, Ermenegildo Zegna, Ferrari and many more.
Jeff takes us through some of his ideas over ii-V-I’s in this episode and we go from simple concepts to very complicated all in the span of about 15 minutes. The triad is one of the most useful devices an improvisor can use in their solos because it outlines a particular tonality in the the most clear and concise way. The real magic happens when you decide to play a triad in a different key than the actual chord that’s happening at the current moment. This is where Jeff’s lesson will benefit you the most. Enjoy the episode and make sure you check out Jeff’s fantastic website and Youtube channel. There’s so much information he has put out that it can keep you busy for years! Grab the PDF for this week’s lesson!
You can find all of Jeff’s materials here:
Please support the podcast! We have some exciting news this week. We are excited to announce our short ebook: 29 core exercises for the improviser can be found HERE. Only $7 will get you months of exercises to use in your studies to become the best improviser possible!
- Grab our monthly transcription packs HERE. This is a great way to support the podcast with a small amount of money each month and get something awesome and beneficial in return!
- If you would like extra help on any of this material, or just want to get better at improvisation, jazz theory, or any aspect of jazz, let’s talk about Skype lessons. For a free consultation to see if we would work well together, visit THIS LINK and get in touch with me!
- Visit the 10 Minute Jazz Lesson Website
- Visit Nick Mainella’s personal Website
- If you enjoy the play alongs I use in these episodes, and need an awesome jazz education tool that allows you to do almost anything you can imagine, download iReal Pro here:
- Please consider donating to the podcast if you find these lessons useful, we really appreciate it! Suggested donation is $5 a month and you can make this a recurring donation by choosing that option on checkout. This show runs on your support!