Are you ready for part 2 of our whole tone series? If you haven’t checked out part one, make sure that you go back and check that out. It’s required listening if you want to get the most out of this week’s episode. Part 1 was geared towards getting the whole tone scale into your brain and under your fingers. This week we get to the fun stuff! We are going to start plugging the whole tone scale into chord progressions that we will see on a regular basis.
We start with augmented ii-V7-I patterns, then we move to a nifty trick over the classic jazz standard, ‘Take The A-Train.’ The final part of this episode will be a little bit more advanced and might not be for everyone. We are going to use whole tone scales and triad pairs over a minor blues giving us that classic ‘out’ sound that everyone strives to get into their playing.
Enjoy this week’s episode and make sure you download the worksheets to get maximum value out of this episode. Have fun!
Get All Of The PDF’s Of Our Back Episodes HERE!
- If you would like extra help on any of this material, or just want to get better at improvisation, jazz theory, or any aspect of jazz, let’s talk about Skype lessons. For a free consultation to see if we would work well together, visit THIS LINK and get in touch with me!
- Visit the 10 Minute Jazz Lesson Website
- Visit Nick Mainella’s personal Website
- If you enjoy the play alongs I use in these episodes, and need an awesome jazz education tool that allows you to do almost anything you can imagine, download iReal Pro here:
- Please consider donating to the podcast if you find these lessons useful, we really appreciate it!