This week we are going to delve into a fairly complicated set of changes. That’s right, it’s Coltrane time! The Coltrane Cycle is one of the most important things to understand in modern jazz. Giant Steps is something that everyone is expected to be able to get through these days, so it would behoove you to learn what these are all about.
Today we feature 3 different pieces of vocabulary that will get you off to a great start handling these progressions. Remember to use the provided material as a springboard to writing your own. You don’t want to sound like a carbon copy of Coltrane when playing over his tunes so get creative and take this in your own direction. Make sure you grab the provided PDF and enjoy the episode!
Please support the podcast! We have some exciting news this week. We are excited to announce our short ebook: 29 core exercises for the improviser can be found HERE. Only $7 will get you months of exercises to use in your studies to become the best improviser possible!
- Grab our monthly transcription packs HERE. This is a great way to support the podcast with a small amount of money each month and get something awesome and beneficial in return!
- If you would like extra help on any of this material, or just want to get better at improvisation, jazz theory, or any aspect of jazz, let’s talk about Skype lessons. For a free consultation to see if we would work well together, visit THIS LINK and get in touch with me!
- Visit the 10 Minute Jazz Lesson Website
- Visit Nick Mainella’s personal Website
- If you enjoy the play alongs I use in these episodes, and need an awesome jazz education tool that allows you to do almost anything you can imagine, download iReal Pro here:
- Please consider donating to the podcast if you find these lessons useful, we really appreciate it!